Many congratulations to the winner of our €1,000 “Guess the Carcass Weight” competition at the Ploughing:
A. Quinn, Co. Westmeath.
The Irish Pilgrimage Trust were our chosen charity this year and we wish them every success in their efforts to assist those requiring their help.
The winner of the Angus Beef Ireland producer group members draw was D. Brophy, Co. Tipperary. We trust you will enjoy a relaxing break at a FBD hotel.
Please come and visit us on our stand.
Speak with factory procurement staff.
Guess the weight competition. €1,000 cash prize.
(All proceeds to the Irish Pilgrimage Trust).
ABI members draw, €500 holiday voucher.
All roads now lead to Bandon this Wednesday for the annual Munster Aberdeen Angus Club sale. Two €500 money back vouchers will be awarded to the purchasers of the two highest ranked Dairy Beef Index bulls sold, sponsored by Angus Beef Ireland and the Irish Aberdeen Angus Association. If breeders would like to share pre sale pics in advance of the sale, just drop a PM to the pageCatalogue available at:http://www.irishaberdeenangus.com/news/bull-sale-catalogues/
NEW – Wednesday 20th April 2022 – Tullow Livestock mart, Co Carlow
Buyers of the two highest ranked Dairy Beef Index bulls sold will receive a €500 cash back voucher.
PREMIER -Thursday 5th May 2022 – Nenagh Livestock mart, Co Tipperary
Buyers of the two highest ranked Dairy Beef Index bulls sold will receive a €500 cash back voucher.
At the end of the three glorious days the attendance figure for the 88th Championships came to a record breaking 297,000 visitors. The good weather and the excitement of a change of venue helped lift the spirits of farmers and their families in these difficult times.
Angus Beef Ireland would like to thank our many producer group members and public who visited our stand over the three days and supported our chosen charity “Cycle Against Suicide”.
The weather helped showcase stands to the very best effect:
The cattle and the wall of champions attracted lots of support and comment:
The results of the “Cycle Against Suicide” charity guess the weight cattle are:
|Angus x Suckler Steers|
The winner of the guess the weight competition was:
Ms. Cara McGinley, Edinburgh, Scotland.
The kill data for the Angus/Dairy cross steers are:
|Angus x Dairy Steers|
The winners of the Angus Beef Ireland producer group members draw will be listed on the www.certifyangus.com website. A producer group member can check if they are a winner by logging on to the site using their username and access code. All winners will be advised in writing.
The Connaught/Leinster Aberdeen-Angus Club held its annual herds competition awards night Sunday 15th September. This year’s competition was judged by Jim Borland from Kelso in the Sottish Borders.
Club chairman Gerry Lynch making a presentation to master judge, Jim Borland.
Mr. Gerry Smyth, Managing Director of Angus Beef Ireland was on hand for the presentation of prizes yesterday. Well done to everyone who took part this year and the full results are listed below:
Michael Smith receiving the Best Small Herd prize on behalf of Bernard Kerins from judge, Jim Borland and sponsor, Gerry Smyth. Bernard also won the best cow family and best senior heifer calf prize.
1, Bernard Kerins’ Kerins Herd
2, Dermot Lynch & Josephine Byrne’s Tomriland Herd
3, John Brady’s Lisnafanna Herd
Conor Craig receiving the Best Medium Herd prize from judge, Jim Borland and sponsor, Gerry Smyth.
1, Conor Craig & Amanda Bogan’s Millbawn Herd
2, Felicity McGrath’s Gortnalon Herd
3, Louis Byrne’s Tomriland Herd
Malachy Tighe receiving the Best Large Herd prize from judge, Jim Borland and sponsor, Gerry Smyth. Malachy also won the prize for the best junior bull calf.
1, Malachy Tighe’s Tara Herd
2, Donal Spring’s Aughnamona Herd
3, John McEnroe’s Liss Herd
Pat Cahill receiving the prize for Best Stock Bull and Best Senior Bull Calf from judge, Jim Borland and sponsor, Gerry Smyth.
Best Senior Bull Calf: Pat Cahill
Best Junior Bull Calf: Malachy Tighe
Best Senior Heifer Calf: Bernard Kerins
John McEnroe receiving the prize for the Best Junior Heifer Calf from judge, Jim Borland and sponsor, Gerry Smyth.
Best Junior Heifer Calf: John McEnroe
Best Cow Family: Bernard Kerins
Best Stock Bull: Pat Cahill
The annual All-Ireland Aberdeen-Angus Championships were staged at the Dualla Show on Sunday 25th August with a large showing of cattle catalogued for the final major event of the summer season. All four provinces were represented on the day with the central location of this year’s finals venue proving popular amongst exhibitors. Univet acted as major sponsors for the event again this year and provided highly sought after Univet products to each of the winners in addition to the very substantial prize money that was on offer in each section. Judge for the occasion was Mr. Bernhard Delle from Germany and his appointment for judging duties marked the first time a non-Irish judge had officiated over proceedings in some years.
The supreme Aberdeen-Angus championship for 2019 was awarded to John & Sean McEnroe, Liss, Oldcastle, Co Meath with their intermediate stock bull, Mogeely Dreamer T534. This 23 month old bull is one of a number of stock bulls in use for the Liss Aberdeen-Angus herd and was purchased at the Irish Aberdeen-Angus Association Premier Sale in Carrick-On-Shannon last November. This one is sired by Wedderlie Blackbox J935, himself the All-Ireland Aberdeen-Angus Champion back in 2016 and is out of Mogeely Daisy L159 who is a daughter of Mogeely Joe H979. The Liss Aberdeen-Angus herd have won the All-Ireland Aberdeen-Angus championships several times previously and also held the distinction of exhibiting the largest number of cattle at this year’s championships too.
Supreme Aberdeen-Angus Champion, Mogeely Dreamer.
The reserve supreme Aberdeen-Angus championship went to John & Kate Tait, Westwood, Rostellan, Midleton, Co Cork with their heifer calf, Westellen Dana U840. This one also took the overall junior Aberdeen-Angus championship on the day to stand on top of a very well contested junior section. This 11 month old heifer is sired by Shadwell Jafar Eric N658 and also took the reserve Munster Aberdeen-Angus junior female of the year prize earlier in the month. Judge Bernhard Delle commented on his final championship line-up, saying that both his champion and reserve were ‘medium sized, well developed cattle that were representative of both the Aberdeen-Angus breed and what the consumer and processors demand and expect from Aberdeen-Angus cattle’.
Supreme Aberdeen-Angus Reserve, Westellen Dana.
The reserve senior Aberdeen-Angus championship went to Matthew & Rita Goulding, Kilmore, Ballyduff, Tralee, Co Kerry with Goulding R Missie 963. This yearling heifer has just reached her 1st birthday and was one of the youngest animals in contention for the overall senior title. This one is the latest in a long line of success stories for the Missie cow family at Goulding Aberdeen-Angus and is sired by Netherallan Peter Pershore E052.
Reserve senior champion, Goulding R Maisie.
The reserve junior Aberdeen-Angus championship went to Cathal & Cormac Duignan, Laheen House, Eslin Bridge, Carrick-On-Shannon, Co Leitrim with their senior bull calf, Laheens Rock and Roll. This 11 month old bull was sired by the legendary AI sire, Bohey Jasper and marked the second time in as many years that the Duignan Family have secured the reserve junior championship at the All-Ireland Aberdeen-Angus finals.
Reserve junior champion, Laheens Rock and Roll.
Senior Aberdeen-Angus bull born before 01.09.2017
- Albert & Jennifer DeCogan’s Cheeklaw Jake Eric R535 by Cardona Proud Punch L752
- Pat & Finbarr Cahill’s Drumhill Lord Harry R635 by Nightingale Proud Jake G405
- Dr. Michael Sheahan’s Luddenmore El Diablo T328 by Friarstown Praire Cloud N250.
- Intermediate Aberdeen-Angus bull born between 01.09.2017 – 31.08.2018
- John & Sean McEnroe’s Mogeely Dreamer T534 by Wedderlie Blackbox J935
- Bryan O’ Halloran’s Schivas Elijah U645 by Weeton Ronan P420
- Bernard Kerins’ Kerins Revolver by Lanigan Red Deep Canyon
- Albert & Jennifer DeCogan’s Laheens Reputation by Weeton Diamond Mine P444
Senior Aberdeen-Angus bull calf born between 01.09.2018 – 31.12.2018
- Cathal & Cormac Duignan’s Laheens Rock and Roll by Bohey Jasper
- Cathal & Cormac Duignan’s Laheens Rolls Royce by HF Rebel 53Y
- Thomas Beirne’s Drumbeera Everest U241 by Caulry Nationwide
- John & Kate Tait’s Westellen Black Bush U839 by Bova Lord Bonanza N266
Junior Aberden-Angus bull calf born between 01.01.2019 – 31.03.2019
- Matthew & Rita Goulding’s Goulding V William 993 by Glenade Prince Callan
- John & Sean McEnroe’s Liss Mandrin V847 by Mogeely Lord Harrow M191
- Michael & Barry Smith’s Lawsons Ford Lord Hennessy V433 by Friarstown Evolver N274
- Tom Reynolds’ Knockadrinan Santa by Drumgowna Norman
Mixed sex Aberdeen-Angus calf born after 01.04.2019
- Thomas Beirne’s Drumbeera Lady Talia V250 by Caulry Nationwide
Senior Aberdeen-Angus cow with calf at foot born before 31.12.2016
- Albert & Jennifer DeCogan’s Knockadrinan Blackbird P599 by Nightingale Dunbarr K551
- Albert & Jennifer DeCogan’s Mogeely Miylo P291 by Rosemead Karona J957
- John & Sean McEnroe’s Liss Minree P415 by The Moss Ethelorance L132
- Edward Dudley’s Castlelough Mystic Buffy N133 by Clontead Ecco
Junior Aberdeen-Angus cow with calf at foot born after 01.12.2016
- John & Sean McEnroe’s Liss Biluri T693 by Mogeely Lord Harrow M191
Senior Aberdeen-Angus heifer born between 01.09.2017 – 28.02.2018
- Michael & Barry Smith’s Lawsons Ford Lady Helly U411 by Friarstown Evolver N274
- Eustace & Deirdre Burke’s Clontead Lady Hotshot T243 by Shadwell Jafar Eric N658
- Liam McEvoy’s Rath Osheen R Lady Jeey by Bunratty John G Dram
Intermediate Aberdeen-Angus heifer born between 01.03.2018 – 31.08.2018
- Matthew & Rita Goulding’s Goulding R Missie 963 by Netherallan Peter Pershore E052
- John Barlow
- Tom Reynolds’ Knockadrinan Ruby by Drumgowna Norman
- Matthew & Rita Goulding’s Goulding R Philippa 919 by Oakchurch Dirk
Senior Aberdeen-Angus heifer born between 01.09.2018 – 31.12.2018
- John & Kate Tait’s Westellen Dana U840 by Shadwell Jafar Eric N658
- Eustace & Deirdre Burke’s Clontead Pamela U265 by Aynho Rossiter Eric B125
- Tom Reynolds’ Knockadrinan Ruda by Drumgowna Norman
- John & Sean McEnroe’s Liss Kim V835 by Netherton Americano M703
Junior Aberdeen-Angus heifer born between 01.01.2019 – 31.03.2019
- Matthew & Rita Goulding’s Goulding V Patriot 988 by Glenard Prince Callan
Best matching pair of Aberdeen-Angus cattle
- Cathal & Cormac Duignan
Junior young stockperson (aged under 17 years on 01.01.2019)
- Colin Bourke
- Cillian Barlow
- Darragh Barlow
- Steven McEvoy
Senior young stockperson (aged 17 – 27 years on 01.01.2019)
- Marie McFadden
- Bryan O’ Halloran
- Christopher Clinton
- Jack Goulding